Tomorrow is the 5th annual Dump the Pump Day and BP gives even more reason to honor it! Here’s a re-post from the Blind Lady Ale House in SD (where we will be holding a screening of Ride the Divide next week.) They give 10% off every day to people who get there by bike. So… roll in style tomorrow!
By Flickr user Markemcmullan.
Check it out… http://blindladyalehouse.com/
With gas prices creeping higher each day, it is an ideal time to share the ride, take public transportation or ride your bike to work.
Nationally, the fifth annual Dump the Pump Day emphasizes that public transportation is a great travel choice. Dump the pump and take advantage of special offers from iCommute, MTS and NCTD, as well as vanpool discounts from Enterprise and VPSI for new vanpools through the month of June. On June 17th drop by the Old Town Transit Station between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. for more Dump the Pump fun and specials.
A two-car household that downsizes to one car can save – on average – more than $9,000 a year. Consider these additional benefits also identified by APTA:
- The average household spends 18 cents of every dollar on transportation, and 94 percent of that goes to buying, maintaining, and operating cars, the largest expenditure after housing.
- Public transportation’s overall effects save the United States 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually – more than three times the amount of gasoline imported from Kuwait.
- One person switching to public transit can reduce daily carbon emissions by 20 pounds, or more than 4,800 pounds in a year.
- Every dollar communities invest in public transportation generates approximately $4 in economic returns.
- Communities that invest in public transit reduce the nation’s carbon emissions by 37 million metric tons annually – equivalent to New York City, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Denver, and Los Angeles combined stopping using electricity.
It’s time to get on board and dump the pump! For more information, visit www.iCommuteSD.com or call 511 and say “iCommute.”
Don’t forget the cyclists always save 10% when they bike to BLAH and mention the SD Bike Commuter Discount.